Partner Bill Bulfer contributed to an article published in the May edition of DRI’s flagship publication, For the Defense. The article, titled “The Dynamic of the Defunct Insured and Bad Faith,” outlines how counsel and claims handlers can successfully handle coverage…
When tackling complex coverage issues, we take pride in protecting our clients by providing high quality and responsive legal expertise aimed to help you succeed.
Our Insurance Coverage Services team handles a broad range of complex insurance coverage issues, ranging from the drafting and interpretation of insurance policies to the investigation and assessment of available coverage under existing forms. We are frequently called upon to review and analyze coverage documents, prepare reliable coverage opinions and reservation of rights letters, and conduct examinations under oath. Our coverage attorneys have experience handling claims in the following industries: commercial general liability, auto, first party property, professional liability, trucking, products liability, fire loss, inland marine, cyber liability, drone coverage, employment practices liability, banking, law enforcement, accident and health and workers’ compensation.
Because every member of our coverage team is also a litigator, we stand ready and are highly capable of prosecuting or defending declaratory judgment actions, including those actions alleging bad faith and extra contractual liability. Every case and every client are different and we take care to handle each case with an understanding of our client’s immediate needs and long term goals. When necessary, we call on the collective and varied experience of the firm’s other well respected practice groups and employ a multi-disciplinary approach to ensure a complete understanding of the coverage at issue in the context of the underlying litigation.
With offices located in Raleigh and Asheville, our Insurance Coverage Services team is capable of handling a wide variety of insurance matters throughout North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
Matters referenced are for illustrative purposes only. They do not represent the firm’s entire record and past successes are not a guarantee of any future result or outcome.
- Successfully prosecuted declaratory judgment action after entry of default and incorporation of punitive damages in underlying matter.
- Obtained voluntary rescision from insured with regard to underlying products liability action after filing and prosecuting declaratory judgment action.
- Obtained dismissal of bad faith action in first party declaratory judgment action tried to jury verdict.
- Successfully reduced UM award from $2 million to $100,000 via successful appeal to the Court of Appeals.
- Investigated, negotiated, and litigated multiple cases involving multiple insurers over extended periods of loss and where competing coverages were at issue.
- Litigated numerous general liability, auto and UM/UIM claims and, in doing so, gained a practical understanding of the underlying matters associated with the applicable coverage.